There are several things which are very basic and are required for every motorcycle rally.
1. Motorcycle - one that is going to be able to cover the distance of the rally with out being a hazard. Small displacement engines (under 250 cc's) are not recommended but can be ridden if in sound repair.
2. Helmet - DOT approved helmet in good repair. Novelty helmets are not acceptable and you will not be allowed to participate wearing one.
3. Motorcycle endorsement on your Drivers License from the state you currently reside in.
4. Insurance for your motorcycle. It is recommended you have at least $100,000/$300,000 personal injury liability coverage.
5. Proper Personal Safety Equipment - to participate in this rally you will need to have at the very least a motorcycle jacket, gloves, long pants and boots. All of these items along with your helmet must be worn at all times while riding your motorcycle in this rally. Remember, we are promoting motorcycle safety.
6. First Aid Kit.
For collecting bonus points during this rally you will need a camera which will allow you to show the Rally Master the picture of the bonus or at least be able to provide a memory card from a camera with the pictures on it.
You will need to have a couple of pens for writing down information about bonus locations.
A GPS is a good thing to have in these types of rally's; however, they are not required. If you have a good map of Kern County you should be able to find each of the bonus locations using a paper map. If you are using a GPS you will be able to find each of the bonus locations. I am trying my best to make sure each location has an address and coordinates assigned to it. I might not be able to do that for some remote locations.